Wednesday, January 31, 2007

3 Business Books I Think You Should Read

I think one of the greatest aspects about being human (versus hanging out in trees all day flinging poo at each other) is the ability to read. I love reading. I really do. Not only is it FUNdamental, like the poster says, I like the mind-bending-paradigm-shifting-“wow-that-was-cool” opportunity that comes with each new book. Three books that I would recommend for any business environment:

7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Dr. Stephen Covey
Empowering. I read this one while in Hawaii and I highly suggest you do the same. I think this book addresses just about any question about personal strategy. Why do I procrastinate? (Habit 3) What kind of manager/co-worker/human do I want to be? (Habit 2) Why do I yell at people in traffic? (Habit 1). I’ve facilitated this class to almost half the employees at Verity. I really enjoy watching the personal connection that students make with the material. It is quite profound and richly satisfying. And I’m not just typing that because profound is one of my favorite words.

First, Break All the Rules, Marcus Buckingham
Practical. I saw Marcus speak at a conference and charming British accent and dreamy blue eyes aside, he has excellent points to make about management philosophy, approach and workplace systems. Our entire executive team and a majority of our managers have read this book. We also use the survey to gauge employee satisfaction and proactively find ways to enrich our culture. This is the kind of book I flagged with little post-its and hand-written notes because there were so many salient points. It’s a good, solid, motivating read for any manager or manager wannabe.

Death By Meeting, by Patrick Lencioni
Relevant. I can’t believe this book didn’t make the New York Times Best-seller list. Paris Hilton’s “book” makes it and this, which could potentially and exponentially impact workplace effectiveness does not. I shake my blond tresses in utter disdain. Anyhoo, back to my recommendation: the ideas and tips have changed the way I conduct meetings, for the better. Do not let the title mislead you; this is not about eliminating meetings. Rather, it’s about the focus, drama and function of different kinds of meetings. This book is a quick read because of the set-up story used to illustrate the point.

There you have it. Cue “the more you know” NBC theme music (ding ding ding diiiiiiiiing)….and let me know what you would recommend.

5 Comments:

Blogger Trey Reeme said...

Tina, Great post - I've read two of the three, and I'll have to take your suggestion on "Death by Meeting".

I'm a business book nerd and my favorite to date is Mastery by George Leonard.

I'm reading Jackie Huba and Ben McConnell's Citizen Marketers right now - it's a darn good one, too.

Wed Jan 31, 08:27:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have read the first two books here...but have not yet tried the third. Thank you for the recommendation.

Wed Jan 31, 10:23:00 PM PST  
Blogger Tina K. said...

To My Anonymous Friend,
I'm glad to hear from you. The third book is by the same author that did "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team". That book was arguably more popular as it did make the NY Times list. Both books are great, relevant, quick reads. -Tina K

Thu Feb 01, 02:30:00 PM PST  
Blogger Tina K. said...

Trey,
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm going to check out Mastery next. Another book we are using at work is Blue Ocean Strategy. You probably have read the Filene study...that seems to be getting more buzz lately, too. I suggest that, and, slang flash cards to complete your professional development on any given day. Slang flash cards are wicked dank. -Tina

Thu Feb 01, 02:36:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Elaine Nelson said...

I got a lot out of Getting Things Done, which has this whole internet cult following thing.

At my new job I've been setting up my systems based around the concepts in that book, and it's helping immensely in keeping organized.

I just put Death By Meeting on hold at the library. :) Thanks!

Wed Feb 07, 12:42:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home