Saturday, October 14, 2006

Proclivity

Have you ever had the experience when you spend time trying to convey an idea and then somebody looks at you, pauses, and repeats back to you what you were trying to say but with clarity and grace?

That happened to me the other day. I gave a presentation to our board of directors. I was trying to explain to them why we are investing more energy into our business blog and how we plan to expand on social media in the future. I was basically saying that blogs foster a sense of community among like-minded people. The board was receptive to what I had to say but I was stumbling a bit in the telling of it.

After I was finished, one of the board members came up and gave me the url of a site that her company uses to “foster a communication medium for those people with a proclivity for community mindedness”.

Gosh, I wish I had used the word proclivity in my presentation. I love that word. I don’t use it enough.

It seems to me that folks who enjoy writing blogs and reading blogs, have a proclivity towards learning and teaching and being affiliated with others who are thinkers. To me, that sums up the type of person who would embrace the idea of a credit union. Credit unions are meant to be financial co-ops designed for members to benefit from one another. The two seem like a good fit.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually heard from a friend of a friend that your presentation went really well.

And you make a good point - social media marketing is directed at thought leaders, those who have a predilection (cha-ching, $10 word) for vocalizing ideas. And thinkers do seem more likely to embrace the ideas behind credit unions, but they're also more likely to call "BS" on credit unions not living out those ideas.

On the flipside of that, they tend to give ideas big fat wings when they believe in them.

Sun Oct 15, 10:32:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and just for the record, Verity is not one of the "BS" credit unions.

Streams of consciousnesses like this post prove that you guys 1) are sincere about sincerity and 2) have a refined vocabulary.

Here, here.

Mon Oct 16, 09:07:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home