Friday, March 30, 2007

What makes a good career?

I always find it interesting to read the rankings in US News and World Reports. Whether it is the best college, best city to live in, or best place to spend a vacation they seem to have a ranking for everything. In the March issue they rank the best careers for 2007 (click here for the link).

While reading the article I was struck by a sentence which gave the advice to pursue something you enjoy (it is hidden in the section that gives advice to recent graduates). Later that day I was announcing the winner of this month’s Extraordinary Feats Award, Melanie Mosshart, and it was evident that she enjoys her job and that has helped her make an impact. Just take a look at some of the things that were said about her:

· “Melanie has a tremendous amount of energy that she brings to work everyday.”
· “Whenever we have any idea that could possible impact our business Melanie runs with it and makes it a reality.”
· “Melanie shows enthusiasm, takes the time to think through what results we want to get and help us come up with a game plan.”
· “Her drive, determination and ability to open doors are truly extraordinary.”

When ranking the best careers US News looks at things such as median salary and job demand. Both of these things are valid but I believe the best careers for 2007, or any other year for that matter, depends on the individual. People like Melanie do not get comments like the ones above unless they enjoy their job.

Now I am a little biased as I am still waiting for Western Washington University to be ranked number one (I think we are all sick of seeing Harvard) in their college issue. Do you think that a magazine can rank the best careers or is that ranking always going to depend on the individual?

2 Comments:

Blogger Trey Reeme said...

Always up to the individual!

Say hypothetically "surgeon" was number one on the list (I'm sure it's not - talk about stressful). Job security and salary through the roof. Tons of respect/prestige.

For me, no thanks! How many years would it take just to get through school - not to mention student loans? But here's the thing, I'd be miserable in that job - I'm too squeamish.

For a lot of folks, sales jobs are just as frightening.

If you enjoy what you do, I'd call it a good career.

Mon Apr 02, 07:25:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Justin said...

I know that there are definetly a lot of professions that pay really good that I would be miserable doing.

I don't know if you have seen the movie "Thank you for Smoking" but this topic reminds me of it (a good movie if you haven't seen it).

Thanks for the comment. I enjoyed it.

Mon Apr 02, 04:47:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home