Wednesday, January 18, 2006

the natural

I know I've already posted about our radio commercials, but here goes another one. Today a few of us went to the radio station to record another commercial. All of us were veterans, with at least one commercial under our belt, except for Blake. You never know what you're going to get when you bring a newbie to the station. Some people take a while to loosen up and will read really fast or get their words jumbled. Others will nail their lines on the first take (ahem....Laurel and Tim).

So, I didn't know what to expect from Blake. He's a pretty laid-back guy who doesn't like to draw a lot of attention to himself (this is my perception anyway). He graciously let Tim read his lines first, followed by Shari. Then, he steps up to the mic and out flows the most soothing, reassuring and sincere sounding voice! Talk about a natural. And the thing is, it sounded exactly like Blake. I know this sounds obvious, but what I'm trying to convey is that sometimes a person's radio voice is just that, their radio voice. It's not their normal speaking voice, and it doesn't give you a sense of their personality really. You listen more to their words than their tone. But when Blake spoke, I felt more than I heard. I felt like, this guy actually cares. He cares about his job and the people he helps.

Maybe it's just that I didn't drink enough water today and I was getting a little dehydrated and I was starting to hallucinate, but I like to think that when people hear our next commercial, they'll feel the same way I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home