Tuesday, December 27, 2005

A Holiday Story

The thing I enjoy most about the holidays is not the presents (although they are nice) but the opportunity to visit with friends and family. Yesterday was great because I was able to get to together with a bunch of friends, some that I hadn’t seen for a long time. As we were talking one of my friends exclaimed how glad he was that he didn’t have to go to work tomorrow (he had the week off). I believe his exact words were “I’m so glad I don’t have to work, sometimes I just dread going.”

When he said this two thoughts sprung to my head. The first was that dread was a really good adjective and I should use it more often. I mean talk about adding a little drama to a sentence. The second thought was, wow that must suck. I mean everyone has the days that they want to sleep a little more but to actually dread going to work has to be a horrible feeling.

Jon, I mean the flying monkey, wrote about the Human Googlebots at Verity in a previous post. I couldn’t agree with him more about the people that work here. Your co-workers are such a big part of what makes an organization great to work for. If your co-workers are the most important thing, being able to be proud of what your organization does is a close second.

Five days ago when I was finishing my Christmas shopping, yes this was December 23rd; I presented my Verity debit card to a cashier of a local shop. She stated, and I quote, “You bank with Verity too, aren’t they great?” It turns out she had come to our Northgate branch and gotten a car loan. What set us apart was that we treated her with respect and helped her get the loan even though she was young and didn't have great credit.

It was such a great feeling to walk out of that store knowing that I worked at an organization that provided such good service. Ok I know this is kind of a sappy, feel good story, but hey isn’t that what the holiday stories are all about.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same thing happen a few months ago when I presented my Verity debit card. Verity has an great reputation of true customer service.

Wed Dec 28, 08:19:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had several people comment on the card as I present it for payment. They love the image on the card.

Wed Dec 28, 12:10:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who said that? Paul? Ivan? Ant?

Tue Jan 03, 04:51:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home