Thursday, December 29, 2005

K.I.S.S.

With the beginning of the New Year, it is inevitable that you encounter the common New Year Resolution inquiries. Personally, I’m not one to annually make a commitment to change or improve – I don’t like to set myself up for failure and I think it’s an ongoing process throughout the year. But, now is as good a time as any to re-evaluate my goals and resolve for change.

So, when I was asked what my goals personally and professionally were for 2006, a phrase came to mind - “K.I.S.S.”

See, this past year or two… okay, three, have been a little frantic for me. I seem to be reactive rather than proactive both in my professional life and my personal life. I used to take pride that I could anticipate and react proactively to avoid major disruptions in my routine. Then I had my son and all order as I knew it ceased to exist. So when I think of my biggest resolution this year, I think “K.I.S.S.” – it stands for “Keep It Simple Stupid”.

My father used to tell me this all the time when I was going through high school and college. You’d have to know my father to not take offense. It was his way of telling me not to get caught up in the details and lose site of the big picture. It was always sound advice that I followed fairly well up until three years ago.

So this year, I am going to work on simplifying my life. Eliminate the unnecessary details, simplify the important ones and stay on focus. Finding a routine that works and sticking to it!

Come February I will be adding another member to my hectic schedule and I need simplicity in my life. It’s a constant struggle juggling work from home part-time with the full-time demands of a three year old. When I add the new one, I need to be sure to remember “K.I.S.S.” – it could save my sanity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home