Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Turn Off Your TV

Whether we realize it or not, television does influence our behavior. Have you ever noticed how thirsty you get after watching a beer commercial? Or how you notice more wrinkles in your skin right after an Oil of Olay ad? Lately I have been paying more attention to my own reactions to television. Here are a few of my observations:

1. There is rarely anything positive reported on the nightly news, which tends to put me in a bad mood. And when I'm in a bad mood, I sometimes like to buy nice things to help myself feel better.

2. After watching TV, I am more likely to feel poor. Think about it...most people on TV are rich or at least live rich lifestyles. They all live in nice houses, drive nice cars, dress to the nines and eat at the best restaurants. Don't you wish you could live like that all the time?

3. I need to upgrade my life. Technology is changing so fast that all the things I currently own are considered old. My cell phone, television and laptop are way too bulky, my MP3 player doesn't hold enough songs, even my toaster is lacking.

What does this have to do with Verity, you might ask? Well, we encourage financial responsibility, and I'm proposing that television does just the opposite. I think that the more you watch TV, the more money you're going to spend.

This week, April 24-30, is TV Turnoff Week. I invite you to participate and see if you notice any changes in the way you feel or even the way you spend money.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are correct in your assessment of what is on TV. It can be excessively negative, to the point that I sometimes completely avoid the news, except for FOX News, which is much more upbeat. As an alterntive, I would suggest watching "The Big Break" on the Golf Channel.

My parents told me that before televeision, people actually spent time talking to each other, reading, and playing dominoes.

P.S.
I wathced TV last night, so I am eliminated from participating.

Tue Apr 25, 11:46:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Darlin' T said...

You can STILL participate! Better late than never.

Too bad I don't get the Golf Channel...it sounds very educational.

Tue Apr 25, 11:48:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home