Wednesday, November 01, 2006

10 Signs You Need to go to the ER

I’ve got death and dying on the brain. It started after my visit on Saturday to Bodies: The Exhibition, which left me thinking about how complex yet fragile the human body is and no matter how well we take care of ourselves, our bodies could very well decide to shut down on us at any time. Then, I spent most of Monday in a first aid and CPR training class for work. Now I’m convinced everyone needs a defibrillator in their home and at the workplace. Sorry to be a downer!

Today I came across an article on how to tell when you need to go to the ER and I thought I’d pass it on because even though there are now at least 10 of us in the office who are certified in first aid and CPR training, we’re not always going to be around. And I want my co-workers, friends, family and readers to know when they need to get themselves medical attention.

Here are 10 warning signs from the American College of Emergency Physicians:

Difficulty breathing, shortness of breath
Chest or upper abdominal pain or pressure
Fainting, sudden dizziness, weakness
Changes in vision
Confusion or changes in mental status
Any sudden or severe pain
Uncontrolled bleeding
Severe or persistent vomiting or diarrhea
Coughing or vomiting blood
Suicidal or homicidal feelings

Now, to lighten things up, how about a joke? A really bad joke about dying? Ok, I’ve got one right here:

    This guy goes into a doctor's office. The doctor says, "Oh, Mr. Jones! We have the results of your test. Do you want the bad news first or the very bad news?" The guy shrugs and says, "Well I guess I'll have the bad news first." "Well the bad news is, you have 24 hours to live," the doctor replies. The man is distraught, "24 hours to live? That's horrible! What could be worse than that? What's the VERY bad news?" The doctor folds his hands and sighs, "The very bad news is...I've been trying to contact you since yesterday."
Thank you, I’ll be here all week.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this week's helping of sunshine and butterflies.

Thu Nov 02, 08:28:00 AM PST  
Blogger Darlin' T said...

Man, saving lives isn't always pretty.

Thu Nov 02, 09:53:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home