Monday, July 03, 2006

More On Mixed Messages

I don't profess to be an expert on advertising in the least. We have just started advertising on the radio and we are certainly finding our way.

I did however, hear an ad yesterday that made me feel a little better about my common sense when it comes to where and how we place our ads.

A few mornings ago, the traffic report was brought to us by an RV dealer. First, I heard the name of the dealership, then a little tag line about seeing the country from an RV, then the typical Seattle traffic report - announcements of pockets of gridlock after pockets of gridlock after pockets of gridlock. I immediately made the association of sitting in stand-still traffic in a huge RV. It wasn't a pleasant thought. It didn't make me want to go out and buy an RV. In fact, it made me wish others didn't own RVs either - and that is pretty bad, considering our RV loans are great products and something I would like to see us make more of.

It did make me appreciate Cascade Bicycle Club. As I snaked my way through Seattle traffic on my way to work, I thought about how much I like it that there is a whole group of Seattle-it's who bike to work everyday and how proud I am that Verity has an affinity credit card that supports bicycle education. I think that is unique and cool. I also think Cascade should sponsor the traffic reports, rather than the RV dealership.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Hi Shari,
Read your comments about RV's and just had to respond. I don't know too many folks who use theirs to commute, which seems to be your point when you bring up bicyclists. Our RV gets us out of town without having to deal with motels and restaurants.

We don't have to worry about who drooled on the pillow last night or if the plates/glasses/utensils are really clean. Plus we get to bring our dog along instead of having to board her.

Even with the price of gas, our 10 day trip along the Oregon coast in June cost half what it would have if we had stayed in motels.

The worst part of each trip is the last 20 miles home, dealing with the traffic. I will agree with you on that point. I just don't think that the RV's you see on the road are on the way to work, rather they won't be adding to the congestion for a few days.

Fri Jul 28, 12:36:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home