Wednesday, January 03, 2007

How to become President?

Before I start I need to clarify that this will only work if you are trying to become President of a company. If you want to be President of your country you will have to get advice from a different blog. So how do you become President of the company you work for? Here are three options:

1. Print up business cards referring to yourself as President (of course this is a lie and you will be found out). On a side note I have a friend that recently started his own business. He had business cards made stating that he was owner. He noticed that when he gave them out to potential customers no one was taking them seriously. Then he changed them so it stated that he was President. He tells me that there is a marked difference in how serious people treat him now. That was really random but for some reason I find it interesting.

2. Start your own business. Downside you need something to sell and money to get started. Upside you are in fact the President.

3. Treat the people you serve with an extrodinary level of service. Solve their problems, anticpate their needs, and create a trusting relationship. This might not actually make you president but to the people you serve you will be viewed in a whole new light. Want an example? Look at the nomination for this month's winner of our Extrodinary Service Award. In this member's eyes he is the President of Verity Credit Union.

I have been sitting next to Chris since August and have noticed him being especially kind to a certain member. At least once a week this member comes in and plops himself in front of Chris. To some, this could be a cause of annoyance or frustration. But Chris patiently listens to his problems and helps him to the best of his abilities. Two weeks ago, this member came in and had a problem paying a Sam’s Club bill. I don’t know the exact situation, but Chris was on the phone with a few different people trying to sort out the issue. He was in here for what seemed like more than an hour but Chris patiently helped him out and he left with his predicament resolved. This is not a one time occurrence. As I said before, this happens at least once a week. This member will come in and be talking back and forth with someone about some problem on his cell phone and tell them they can talk to the “President of my Bank.” Anyway, he always has a positive experience when he comes in and Chris helps him with whatever he needs.

That my fellow bloggers is one way to become President (at least to one person).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right...I've worked in the CU industry for years and can think of many examples I've witnessed of CU employees doing exactly what you described. Although I've been gone from my former CU for 3 years now, I still have members asking for me, commenting to my former coworkers that they really miss me, and even asking my parents when I'm coming back...as a CU employee, I don't think we realize the little things we do can make a HUGE difference in the lives of our members. That is the biggest reason I'm still in this industry...it's the people helping people, baby!

Wed Jan 03, 01:14:00 PM PST  
Blogger shari storm said...

I can't wait to start calling Chris "Mr. President".

Wed Jan 03, 01:15:00 PM PST  
Blogger Justin said...

It really is amazing the difference you can make in someone's life but doing things that you think are ordinary. Thanks for the comment!

Thu Jan 04, 04:43:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home